Thursday, August 03, 2006

Diagnosis

In regards to my elbow...I have nerve compression/entrapment of the ulna nerve at the elbow. It's probably scar tissue from the fracture in February.

Option 1: Wait and see if it gets better.
Option 2: Surgically decompress the nerve and possibly move the nerve to another place. (link is really a good link to UCLA's Neurosurgery Center).

Neither sounds fun. I've been pretty good about limiting the activities. I use the mouse at my computer with my left hand again. I conduct the band with my left hand (that was weird). I rinse dishes, weed, drive, hold the phone to my ear, etc. with my left hand. I still do all the fun nerve glides. I'm not overdoing it, but I'm definitely not exercising it. But rest alone MIGHT help.

But surgery might work. It would release it from the scar tissue, and the re-routing of the nerve to inside the forearm would decrease the tension. It would mean possible time off. It would mean trying to figure out a good time for surgery. It would mean going back to square one. But it also MIGHT help.

So there you have it. I asked my ortho-surgeon what he would do. He said he didn't know. Great. Joe and I meet with him on the 14th to discuss details, options, etc.

Bottomline, I just want to be feel healthy again. I want to play cello again. I want to be able to not wince when Maddy wants me to hold her. I want to be able to not have to gauge my activities, hoping that I have enough strength to make it through the day.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

karen...have you asked your dr if it is scar tissue and they go in and remove it....what are the chances of it coming back...and if it does
will you need more surgery...the reason im asking is several of my friends have had back surgery and had to go back numerous time to remove scar tissue...keeping you in my prayers...hugs cousin lana

KarenE said...

Good question, Lana. The will be actually removing the nerve from the scar tissue all together, moving it from that funny bone area to the inside of my forearm. I know there are always side effects and possible complications. Just trying to figure out which is the best decision. :)