Thursday, April 27, 2006

It's "Wis-KAHN-sen"!

I have the proof! In 1979, my 3rd grade class wished me well as my family made the move from Comstock Park, Michigan to Madison, Wisconsin. They composed cards and wrote notes to me inside of a small grey-green book. What confused me was many of them wished me luck in "WEST-consin". I couldn't figure it out. I knew I was heading West, but geesh....

There are a number of Wisconsin place names that are difficult even for native Wisconsinites to pronounce! Let's see, in NE Wisconsin, there's "Allouez", "Ashwaubenon", "Lake Butte des Morts, and "Kaukauna" for examples. How does one even begin to attempt to pronounce these?

Thankfully, there's a website out there (cleverly named the Miss Pronouncer) that will help you hear the correct pronounciation of Brett Favre, the Chequamegon National Forest, and even Oconomowoc. Great job, Jackie Johnson!

No comments: