Tuesday, May 02, 2006

Princess obsession

I blame it on Pampers(TM), Disney,her older girl cousins, and, yes, her Nana Sue.

I'm an avowed feminist. I don't want my dear daughter to grow up thinking that her life is complete only if she finds a husband. I want her to be happy, fullstop. If that means being single, so be it. I want to expose her to all sorts of ideas of what girls and women can be, of what she can be, other than needing a male figure to "rescue her". I have even started my first term on a board of an organization that promotes racial and sexual equality! This is a big deal for me!

But then they started creeping into our lives. Their pictures are on the PullUps Maddy started wearing a while ago. I called them "ladies". When we visit her cousins, they love to dress up. I called it dressing up "fancy". Princesses are everywhere! On cute clothes - her favorite pjs have the word "princess" on it, but thankfully it's a pic of a cute puppy.

I've tried to "fight" back, not making a big deal about her liking the movie, Sleeping Beauty or Cinderella. I encourage Finding Nemo as much as I can. At age 2, she's an avid reader, so I'm starting to try to open up her literary world as well. Well, now Maddy is obsessed with 6 little books, all based on various Disney princesses given to her by Nana Sue a few weeks ago. There's Cinderella, Jasmine, Aurora, Ariel, Snow White, and Belle. She loves them! I'm hoping it's because they are small. I just can't wait to introduce her to MY favorite princess movies, Ever After, and The Princess Bride. The Princess Bride because it's hilarious. Ever After because Danielle didn't need the prince to rescue her, only to see her as who she is.

No comments: